In nod to Turkey, the Pentagon also said US was reviewing ‘adjustments’ in arms for Syrian Kurdish forces.
(MEE) The United States plans to reduce military support for groups fighting the Islamic State (ISIS) group in Iraq and Syria, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said on Monday.
Sanders said with ISIS’ territory shrinking, “we’re in a position to stop providing military equipment to certain groups, but that doesn’t mean stopping all support of those individual groups”.
On Friday, Turkey said President Donald Trump told President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in a phone call that he had issued instructions that weapons should not be provided to the Syrian Kurdish YPG fighters, which Ankara views as a threat.
The Pentagon also said on Monday that Washington was reviewing “adjustments” in arms for the Syrian Kurdish forces.
“We are reviewing pending adjustments to the military support provided to our Kurdish partners in as much as the military requirements of our defeat-ISIS and stabilisation efforts will allow us to prevent ISIS from returning,” said Pentagon spokesman Eric Pahon, using a different acronym for IS.
The Kurdish-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces played a major role in pushing ISIS militants out of large swathes of territory in Syria, including their de facto capital, Raqqa.
Earlier on Monday, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag said Friday’s call between Trump and Erdogan was a turning point in strained ties between the two countries, but Washington must honour a pledge to stop providing weapons to the Syrian Kurds.
“The ‘We will not give weapons’ remark from a US president for the first time is important, but it will lose value if it is not implemented. It would be deceiving the world,” Bozdag said.
A White House readout of Friday’s phone call said Erdogan and Trump discussed combating terrorism in Syria.
“Consistent with our previous policy, President Trump also informed President Erdogan of pending adjustments to the military support provided to our partners on the ground in Syria, now that the battle of Raqqa is complete and we are progressing into a stabilisation phase to ensure that ISIS cannot return,” the White House statement said.
This article was chosen for republication based on the interest of our readers. Anti-Media republishes stories from a number of other independent news sources. The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not reflect Anti-Media editorial policy.
Since you’re here…
…We have a small favor to ask. Fewer and fewer people are seeing Anti-Media articles as social media sites crack down on us, and advertising revenues across the board are quickly declining. However, unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall because we value open and accessible journalism over profit — but at this point, we’re barely even breaking even. Hopefully, you can see why we need to ask for your help. Anti-Media’s independent journalism and analysis takes substantial time, resources, and effort to produce, but we do it because we believe in our message and hope you do, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting and finds value in it helps fund it, our future can be much more secure. For as little as $1 and a minute of your time, you can support Anti-Media. Thank you. Click here to support us