(TM) – Turkish officials sounded optimistic about establishing a safe zone near its southern border after a delegation from Washington visited Ankara this week to discuss issues regarding Syria, the Hürriyet Daily News reported.
The delegation, led by James Jeffrey, US special envoy for Syria engagement and the special envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIL, met with presidential spokesperson İbrahim Kalın, foreign ministry officials and Defense Minister Hulusi Akar separately on Wednesday.
According to the report, Jeffrey and Turkish officials discussed the implementation of a roadmap agreed by the two NATO allies last year for Syria’s Manbij region, rebuilding Syria and keeping Idlib safe from a military operation that would cause civilian deaths.
“It was assured that all of Turkey’s security concerns will be allayed with the planned safe zone and that all terrorist groups will be eliminated from the region,” a presidential source is quoted as saying in the HDN report.
Akar and Jeffrey discussed the latest developments in Syria, particularly the situation east of the Euphrates, Turkey’s Defense Ministry said in a statement.
Turkey and the US have launched talks for a possible safe zone near the Turkish border in northern Syria, following Washington’s decision to withdraw most of its troops in the country. The idea responds to Turkey’s concerns about the threat posed by Kurdish militias and harassment fire by the group in the region.
Meanwhile, Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu on Thursday said the two countries are getting closer to an agreement on the details of a safe zone.
By Turkish Minute / Republished with permission
This article was chosen for republication based on the interest of our readers. Anti-Media republishes stories from a number of other independent news sources. The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not reflect Anti-Media editorial policy.
Since you’re here…
…We have a small favor to ask. Fewer and fewer people are seeing Anti-Media articles as social media sites crack down on us, and advertising revenues across the board are quickly declining. However, unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall because we value open and accessible journalism over profit — but at this point, we’re barely even breaking even. Hopefully, you can see why we need to ask for your help. Anti-Media’s independent journalism and analysis takes substantial time, resources, and effort to produce, but we do it because we believe in our message and hope you do, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting and finds value in it helps fund it, our future can be much more secure. For as little as $1 and a minute of your time, you can support Anti-Media. Thank you. Click here to support us