Sudan’s Bashir “Took Millions in Cash From Saudi Crown Prince,” Trial Hears

(MEE) — Former Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir admitted taking $90m in cash from Saudi Arabia’s rulers, including Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, a court heard on Monday as the ousted autocrat’s corruption trial began.

Police Brigadier Ahmed Ali, a detective working on the corruption case, told a Khartoum court that Bashir said part of the money was “delivered by some of Mohammed bin Salman’s envoys”.

Bashir appeared in court amid heavy security for the first time since 16 June and is accused of “corruption, illicit possession of foreign currency and accepting gifts illegally”.

Inside the courtroom, the toppled autocrat was seated in a metal cage, unshaven and wore a traditional white gown, or thobe.

His relatives present during the trial chanted “Allahu Akbar” (God is great), to which he responded with the same. The next session of proceedings are scheduled for Saturday.

Ahmed Ali said around $7.8m was found at the deposed president’s house. The detective said Bashir claimed the money was part of $25m sent to him by the Saudi crown prince “to be used outside of the state budget”.

Bashir also admitted that he had earlier received two payments from Saudi’s King Abdullah for $35m and $30m which he had spent, according to the investigations.

The former president, who swept to power in a coup in 1989, was deposed following months of protests and is being held in the capital’s Kober prison.

In April, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who heads the military council currently ruling Sudan, said more than $113m worth of cash in three currencies were seized from Bashir’s residence.

Bashir falls foul of laws he himself imposed when he issued a decree making it illegal to possess more than $5,000 in foreign currency during a state of emergency.

Sudan suffered high rates of corruption during his rule, ranking 172 out of 180 countries in Transparency International’s 2018 Corruption Perceptions Index.

In an effort to quell protests that erupted against his rule in December, Bashir imposed a nationwide state of emergency on 22 February.

In May, the prosecutor general said Bashir had been charged with the killings of protesters during the anti-government demonstrations that eventually led to his downfall.

Protests against Bashir’s rule initially erupted on 19 December after his government tripled the price of bread and eventually broadened out to demands for political change after years of corruption and repression.

He was ousted by the army after thousands of demonstrators launched a sit-in outside the military headquarters in central Khartoum from 6 April.

On Saturday, the ruling military council and protesters signed a power-sharing deal, ostensibly paving the way for a civilian-led government after months of unsuccessful talks and a violent crackdown on demonstrators.

The new ruling body was set to take oath on Monday but at the request of the opposition, it has been delayed for 48 hours, according to a spokesman for the military council.

Wanted by the ICC

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has filed more serious charges against Bashir including war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide for his role in the Darfur war in the early 2000s.

More than 300,000 people were killed and 2.5 million displaced in the conflict while hundreds of thousands still live in impoverished conditions, according to figures released by the United Nations.

For years, the ICC has been demanding that Bashir stand trial for his involvement and renewed its call since he was removed from power.

Last week, Amnesty International warned that his corruption trial should not overshadow the more serious charges he faces in The Hague.

“While this trial is a positive step towards accountability for some of his alleged crimes, he remains wanted for heinous crimes committed against the Sudanese people,” Amnesty’s Joan Nyanyuki said.

“Omar al-Bashir has evaded justice for far too long as the victims of horrific crimes still wait for justice and reparations more than a decade since the ICC issued the first warrant for his arrest.”

By MEE and agencies Republished with permission / Middle East Eye / Report a typo

This article was chosen for republication based on the interest of our readers. Anti-Media republishes stories from a number of other independent news sources. The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not reflect Anti-Media editorial policy.

Stored Safely on Blockchain

This post is published to LBRY blockchain at lbry://@AntiMedia/sudans-bashir-took-millions-cash-saudi-crown-prince.

Try LBRY to experience content freedom, earn crypto, and support The Anti-Media!

Since you’re here…

…We have a small favor to ask. Fewer and fewer people are seeing Anti-Media articles as social media sites crack down on us, and advertising revenues across the board are quickly declining. However, unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall because we value open and accessible journalism over profit — but at this point, we’re barely even breaking even. Hopefully, you can see why we need to ask for your help. Anti-Media’s independent journalism and analysis takes substantial time, resources, and effort to produce, but we do it because we believe in our message and hope you do, too.

If everyone who reads our reporting and finds value in it helps fund it, our future can be much more secure. For as little as $1 and a minute of your time, you can support Anti-Media. Thank you. Click here to support us

    6

COMMENTS

0

You must be logged in to post a comment.