Pentagon Chief Saw No Evidence US Embassies Were Under Threat

(ANTIWAR.COM— On Friday, President Trump said he believed that Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani was plotting to attack four US embassies. He offered the American public no evidence of this, which seems to be the same treatment Defense Secretary Mark Esper got.

On Sunday’s news shows, Esper struggled with this question. On CBS, he said he’d seen no evidence at all to support the idea that US embassies were under threat. He did say he shares the president’s view that “probably” the embassies would’ve been attacked.

This again suggests there isn’t good evidence to back up the president’s claim, as Esper presumably would’ve been in the loop on that matter if there had been. By his second appearance of the day, on CNN, Esper was more supportive of the Trump narrative, saying what Trump said “is what I believe as well.” He added that Iran “probably could have been targeting the embassies.”

Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) has continued to express concern about the quality of information given to Congress, and it seems that may extend to national security officials. President Trump never even suggested the four embassies belief had evidence behind it, it was just what he believes.

This raises the distinct possibility that Trump came up with this Iranian plot, because it sounded good to justify the US assassination of Soleimani, and everyone else in the administration is just rubber stamping it because contradicting Trump is a risky career move.

By Jason Ditz / Republished with permission / ANTIWAR.COM / Report a typo

These articles were chosen for republication based on the interest of our readers. Anti-Media republishes stories from a number of other independent news sources. The views expressed in these articles are the author’s own and do not reflect Anti-Media editorial policy.

Since you’re here…

…We have a small favor to ask. Fewer and fewer people are seeing Anti-Media articles as social media sites crack down on us, and advertising revenues across the board are quickly declining. However, unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall because we value open and accessible journalism over profit — but at this point, we’re barely even breaking even. Hopefully, you can see why we need to ask for your help. Anti-Media’s independent journalism and analysis takes substantial time, resources, and effort to produce, but we do it because we believe in our message and hope you do, too.

If everyone who reads our reporting and finds value in it helps fund it, our future can be much more secure. For as little as $1 and a minute of your time, you can support Anti-Media. Thank you. Click here to support us

    7

COMMENTS

0

You must be logged in to post a comment.